Note: Users should switch to binary mode before downloading data files.
The directory pub/pdb is the entry directory for the ftp site.
The directory pub/pdb/data/structures/divided contains the current PDB contents including PDB, mmCIF, and PDBML/XML formatted coordinate files, structure factors and NMR restraints:
- Entry files are date-stamped to show the date they were released
- Entries are grouped by the middle two characters of the 4-character PDB identifier. For example, entry file pdb100d.ent can be found in
- For more information on the contents of major directories please click here.
- A list of summaries of PDB data available on the FTP site can be found here.
- A site map of the FTP site can be found here.
Automated Download of Data from the PDB FTP Archive
The RCSB PDB also provides some example scripts to assist in the automated download of data from the ftp site.
ftp://snapshots.rcsb.org/rsyncSnapshots.sh (rsync homepage)
To make a local copy of an annual snapshot or sections of the snapshot. This script is annotated to assist in downloading only sections of the archive.
- ftp://ftp.wwpdb.org/pub/pdb/software/rsyncPDB.sh (rsync homepage)
To copy the current contents of the entire archive
Additional information on obtaining and maintaining copies of the entire PDB archive or certain portions of it is available at http://www.wwpdb.org/downloads.html.
Additional RCSB PDB FTP services
Obtaining Files that used to be in the Brookhaven PDB FTP Archive
The RCSB PDB no longer maintains an up-to-date copy of the BNL PDB FTP archive. Please click here for more information.